Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

The year in sports

The new year will mark the end of an eventful 2014 for the athletic programs at David Crockett and Daniel Boone. The year for the two schools was highlighted by winning, coaching changes and controversy.
Daniel Boone replaced their boys’ basketball coach, Ryan Arnold, in February amid controversy and later saw beloved and highly successful softball coach Rick Wagner retire.
Crockett also saw their share of coaching changes highlighted by the hiring of Marty Story as the new girls’ basketball coach.
In November, the Blazer cross country team captured a team state championship and Adam Barnard took home the honor as an individual after his top run.
But at the end of the year, one event stands alone as the top sports story of 2014, the brawl between David Crockett and Daniel Boone following the annual Musket Bowl between the two rivals in October.
As the final seconds ticked off the clock in the 44th Musket Bowl meeting on Oct. 28 between Daniel Boone and David Crockett, the customary meeting between opposing teams usually meant as a show of sportsmanship took an unexpected turn as high emotions from the contest lingered before detonating at the center of Pioneer field in Jonesborough.
What began as a small incident between a couple of Pioneer and Blazer athletes quickly turned into a larger scuffle as players and some fans from both schools joined in the ruckus.
Coaches, school administrators and police officers quickly took control of the situation, sending Pioneer players to one side of the field and Blazer players to the other in order to extinguish tempers and avoid further confrontation after Boone’s 23-16 come-from-behind victory.
The incident led to the arrest of one person, a Jonesborough resident attending the event, who, according to the Washington County Sherriff’s Office, pushed an off-duty deputy while being led off the field.
Less than 24 hours following the altercation, the TSSAA imposed major penalties on both programs after video of the incident appeared on local and national news outlets.
In a letter sent to the schools less than 24 hours following the event, TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress levied a punishment for both programs that included a three-year postseason ban and a fine for each totaling $4,750.
Administrators at David Crockett and Daniel Boone along with Director of Schools Ron Dykes acknowledged that the event was an embarrassment for both schools but that the severity of the punishment levied by the TSSAA as well as their hasty response would be challenged through an appeal.
The appeal hearing took place on Nov. 13 with the TSSAA deciding to reduce the original punishments for both schools.
Although Crockett and Boone would remain on a regular three-year probationary period, the TSSAA announced that the postseason ban for the two schools would be reduced to only the 2015 season and each program’s fine lowered to $1,000.
The decision brought an end to an event that won’t soon be forgotten and tops the sports stories for 2014.