Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Washington County Courthouse closes to public, offers curbside service


JONESBOROUGH – Elected officials made the decision to close the Historic Washington County Courthouse to the public beginning on Monday, March 23.

“We cannot effectively serve our citizens if we do not have healthy citizens to provide services,” Mayor Joe Grandy said. “After meeting with elected officials whose offices are housed in the Historic Courthouse, we decided to go this route.”

Employees will be working at the courthouse and providing services, but ask that those who need to conduct business with the county call ahead.

“We will place drop boxes on the lower level of the courthouse at the handicapped entrance for folks to leave documents and payments,” Grandy explained. “We do encourage everyone to check online at to conduct business via our Online Services first.”

Gov. Bill Lee extended the deadline for obtaining vehicle registration renewals that expire in March and April. The new deadline for obtaining these renewals is June 15.

Phone numbers for county services are as follows:

Clerk’s Office (Vehicle Tags, Marriage Licenses, Business Licenses) – 753-1621

Register of Deeds – 753-1644

Trustee’s Office (Property Tax Payments, Tax Relief Questions) – 753-1602

Assessor’s Office (Real Estate Assessment Questions, Greenbelt) – 753-1670

Planning & Zoning (Plat Maps, Building Permits, Inspections) – 753-1753

Election Commission (Register to Vote, Requesting Absentee Ballots) – 753-1688

Staff will be available during normal business hours, which are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to answer calls. The drop box for payments and documents will be accessible during normal business hours as well.

Here’s a brief list of business that can be conducted online:

  • County Clerk – You can renew your vehicle tags via phone, mail or online. Additionally, you can go online and apply for a marriage license, to become a notary and request a business license.
  • Planning & Zoning – Several applications are available on the county’s web site. You can fill those out and submit the applications electronically via email. Contractors can also ask to submit building permits and requests for inspections via a new online portal. Please call 753-1753 for information.
  • Property Assessor – You can access all real estate assessment data via the county’s web site.
  • Register of Deeds – Mortgage companies are strongly encouraged to file online. Call Simplifile at 800-460-5657 to begin the process.