Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Sons of American Revolution to provide grave marking

The Kings Mountain Chapter Tennessee Society Sons of the American Revolution will be providing grave marking and grave re-dedication services on May 8.
The service for Hugh Harris, Sr. will be at the New Salem Church Cemetery starting at 10 a.m. near Washington College and the service for Jacob Brown will start at the Jacob Brown Cemetery about 11:30 a.m.
The Brown Cemetery is located less than a mile down Taylor Bridge Road off State Highway 81 beside the Nolichucky River.
Hugh Harris was born in Virginia in 1749. He served in the North Carolina Continental Line during the Revolutionary War. He enlisted as a Private on May 1, 1776, in Orange County, North Carolina, and was promoted to Corporal on Nov. 10, 1778.
Harris served in the battles of Germantown and Monmouth. He was discharged from the North Carolina Line on May 20, 1779. by Col. Clark.
Harris moved to Tennessee before 1827 and lived in the Limestone (Broylesville area) of Washington County.
He married Elizabeth Jackson at Jonesborough on Nov. 5, 1834.
Harris died on Feb. 13, 1855, at 105 years old. His original monument says he served with George Washington. Jacob Brown was probably born in Augusta County, Virginia, in 1736.
He moved to North Carolina in 1754 and then to the Nolichucky River area in what is now Washington County. He leased land from the Cherokees and established a trading company and also provided blacksmith and gunsmith services. The Brown home was three miles from Col. John Sevier’s home, Mount Pleasant. In 1780, Captain Brown of the Washington County, N.C,. militia led his company to Kings Mountain to fight under the command of Sevier.
Brown was promoted to second major of the Washington Co. militia while it was part of the State of Franklin. His last military service was the Boyd’s Creek campaign.
Brown died in June 1785.
The Harris marker was provided by the US Government and the Jacob Brown marker was provided by the John Sevier Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1938. The monument was rebuilt in 2010 by members of Kings Mountain Chapter SAR.
For more information, contact Joe Chambers at 743-3656, or by e-mail at [email protected]