Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Historic signs on the move?

The Jonesborough Tree and Townscape Board has already been tasked with determining a new signage plan for downtown. Now it appears the future of two other signs is also theirs to assess.
Jonesborough Mayor Kelly Wolfe said he was driving on Highway 11E recently when he realized two historic signs along the four-lane road were being ignored.
“How in the world do we expect anybody to be able to read the two historic state markers going 45 miles per hour down Highway 11E?” Wolfe asked. “I’d like to take a little time to think about how we can make the signs a contributing asset to our town instead of one that is simply ignored.”
One sign, located in front of Dillow-Taylor Funeral Home on Highway 11E touts Jonesborough – spelled Jonesboro – as the oldest town in Tennessee. It explains that the town was formally established in 1779 by the General Assembly of North Carolina as county seat of Washington County, the first county west of the mountains. In 1784, the sign reads, the State of Franklin was organized here, with Jonesboro as its first capital.
The other sign, located closer to the highway’s intersection with Boones Creek Road, recognizes Jonesborough’s part in the creation of a state seal.
According to the sign, a quarter mile southwest on the main street of Jonesborough was the silversmith shop of William and Matthew Atkinson. The Atkinsons were the designers and engravers of the Great Seal of the State of Tennessee. Although authorized by the Tennessee Constitution of 1796, the seal was first used on April 24, 1802, by Archibald Roane, the second governor.
Both signs were issued by the Tennessee Historical Commission.
Members of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen voted to request the Tree and Townscape Board take a look at finding a better way to display the signs so that visitors and residents can better appreciate the town’s history.