Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Former Jonesborough police officer sentenced for trafficking in steroids

A former Jonesborough police officer and Washington County sheriff’s deputy has been sentenced to serve time in federal prison.
In January, Freddie Matthew Sergent, 31, of Telford, pleaded guilty to distributing anabolic steroids through the U.S. Postal Service from 2009-2012.
On Aug. 12, he was sentenced to serve 18 months in federal prison followed by three years of supervised release for the crimes.
According to authorities, Sergent obtained raw steroid powders and other materials through the U.S. mail from sources in China. He processed and packaged the steroids into vials with approximately 300 milliliters of a solution containing an anabolic steroid often referred to by the trade name “Equipoise.”
Sergent sold the steroids to customers in East Tennessee as well as customers across the United States. Sergent told authorities he had sold approximately $80,000 worth of steroids at $40 per vial.
According to court documents, Sergent began selling steroids — to fellow local law enforcement officers and members of the gym he attended — as a way to fund his own use of the drug.
He then started selling them more frequently as a way to afford expensive fertility treatments, and ultimately an adoption process, as he and his wife tried to have children.
“Mr. Sergent was well aware this was wrong and illegal, but the draw of seemingly easy money pulled him in,” his lawyer, Benjamin Sharp, writes. “Everything that Mr. Sergent had fought and worked for, he sacrificed for ill-gotten gains.”
For almost the entire time Sergent was unlawfully trafficking in steroids, he was employed as a police officer with the Jonesborough Department of Public Safety.
He resigned from the force in January 2012 following several disciplinary actions due to falsifying time sheets and leaving town limits to shop while on duty.
Jonesborough Police Chief Matt Hawkins has denied any knowledge of Sergent’s trafficking in steroids.
Sergent’s arrest may be just the beginning of the federal investigation.
The government filed a “substantial assistance motion” in the case, agreeing to allow a departure from federal sentencing guidelines for Sergent since he provided substantial assistance in the prosecution or investigation of another person.
Court documents indicate Sergent “agreed to and remains willing to cooperate with this investigation and any other investigation that he can be of assistance.”
Sergent had asked for leniency in his sentencing, even suggesting he be allowed to stay out of prison and instead serve time under house arrest.
“I somehow became sidetracked and made a mess of my life. I allowed the glitter in life to divert my attention and allowed myself to make some pretty bad decisions,” Sergent writes in a letter to the judge. “I have no one to blame but myself. I am ashamed of the mistakes I have made. I wish I could rewind and change it all.”