Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Child struck by car while crossing street to board school bus Nov. 19

A 12-year-old girl was struck and injured by an oncoming car on Nov. 19, as she attempted cross the street to board a school bus.
According to Washington County Director of Schools Ron Dykes, the incident occurred near the former Gentleman Jim’s Restaurant on Highway 81 South, just as that bus started its run.
According to the Tennessee Highway Patrol the car involved was being driven by Ginger Bernea Roberts, 41.
Dykes, who responded to the scene, said the bus driver had followed standard procedure for picking up students.
“The bus was completely stopped and lights were flashing,” he said.
Roberts, however, reportedly told authorities a different story, saying the lights were not activated and the stop sign arm was not extended.
The southbound bus had stopped to pick up the student around 6:30 a.m.
The child was crossing the road to board the bus when Roberts, headed north, hit the child.
The student, an eighth-grader at Jonesborough Middle School, was responsive at the scene. She was transported to Johnson City Medical Center, where she was being treated for non- life-threatening injuries.
Authorities are continuing to investigate the incident, and plan to use video from a camera inside the bus to determine what, if any, charges should be placed.
As a result of the incident and alleged reports concerning speeding in that area, Dykes has requested the sheriff’s office reinstate deputy ride-alongs on several school buses.
“We are told that the Washington County Sheriff’s department has had multiple reports concerning speeding vehicles in this area with regard to stopped buses,” Dykes said. “As a matter of fact because of that, the sheriff’s department says they have beefed up patrol in that area over the last three weeks.”
It remains unclear if Roberts was speeding at the time of the incident.
“We’re just extremely fortunate that this child’s injury was no worse than it was,” Dykes said. “I’m extremely thankful.”